NCERT Solutions for Class 11th: A Photograph (Poem) Hornbill English
Now look up the dictionary to see if your inference is right.
Paddling: To move a boat by means of paddles.
Transient: Something that stays at a place for a short time-period.
‘Cardboard’ refers to the photograph only. This word has been used because photograph it lost it colur and also clarity of its images.
2. What has the camera captured?
The camera has captured some happy moments from the childhood of the poet’s mother. It was a scene taken from a beach where she had gone with her cousins and her uncle for a sea holiday. The girls were paddling in the water.
3. What has not changed over the years? Does this suggest something to you?
4. The poet’s mother laughed at the snapshot. What did this laugh indicate?
This laugh indicates her remembering her past. She looked back to her childhood with nostalgia and remembered the innocent joys of her childhood days.
5. What is the meaning of the line “Both wry with the laboured ease of loss”.
The line refers to the sea holiday as remembered by her mother and the poet remembering her mother’s laughing face. Both these now belong to the past. Her mother is no more now.
6. What does “this circumstance” refer to?
‘This circumstance’ refers to the present situation of the poet wherein the poet is absorbed in the painful memory of her dead mother. Looking at the photograph and thinking of her mother’s laughter, the poet also realises that it has been the same number of years since her mother died as her mother’s age in the photograph.
- Summary of A Photograph Class 11th Chapter 2 (Poem)
- Hindi Summary Of A Photograph Class 11th Chapter 2 (Poem)
- NCERT Solutions of A Photograph Class 11th Chapter 2 (Poem)