WHAT IS DEMOCRACY? WHY DEMOCRACY NOTES
Q.1 Write a broad definition of democracy.
ANS. Democracy is a form of government in which the rules are elected by the people. Democracy form of government in which
- Rules elected by the people take all the major decision.
- Elections offer a choice and fair opportunity to the people to change the current rules.
- This choice and opportunity is available to all the people an equal basis.
- The exercise of this choice leads to a government limited by basic rules of the constitution and citizen rights.
Q2. write any 5 arguments against democracy?
Ans. Leaders keep changing in a democracy. This leads to instability.
- Democracy is all about political competition and power play. There is no scope for morality.
- So many people have to be consulted in a democracy that it leads to delay
- Elected leaders do not know the best interest of the people. It leads to lead decision.
- Democracy leads to corruption for it is based on electoral competition.
Q3. Briefly state some of the argument in support of democracy?
ANS. A democratic government is the better government because it is a more accountable form of government.
- Democracy improves the quality of decision making.
- Democracy provides methods to deal with difference and conflicts.
- Democracy enhances the dignity of citizens.
- Democracy is better than other forms of government because it allows us to correct it’s our mistakes.
Q.4. Democratic government is a better government because it is a more accountable form of government. Explain.
Ans Democracy is better than any other form of government in responding to the needs of the people.
- A men democratic government may and come respond to the people’s need, but it all depends on the wishes of the people who rule.
- If the rulers don’t want to they don’t have to act according to the wishes of the people.
- Democracy requires that the rulers have to attend to the needs of the people.