Read the extract and answer the questions that follow.
1. “The next morning at eleven sharp, I rang the doorbell of that World’s Fair main building.”
(a) Who had Pescud come to meet ?
Ans. Pescud had come to meet Jessie’s father.
(b) What was the purpose of his visit ?
Ans. He had come there to talk to Jessie’s father and to disclose his liking for her.
(c) Why was he surprised to see the inside of the big building ?
Ans. He was surprised because the inside of the building was impoverished and had very old furniture.
2. “For about nine seconds, he had me rattled, and I came mighty near getting cold feet and trying to sell him some plate-glass. ”
(a) The speaker is talking about
Ans. He is talking about his meeting with Colonel Allyn, Jessie’s father.
(b) What does the word ‘rattle’ mean here ?
Ans. It means shaking vigorously, confused and nervous.
(c) What did the speaker do after these ‘nine seconds’ ?
Ans. After these nine seconds, he got over his nervousness, gained confidence and talked about his liking for Jessie.
3. “Good-luck to you, Trevelyan, ” “And may you get the petunias for your princess!” [CBSE 2011 (Term II)]
(a) By whom have these words been spoken ?
Ans. These words have been spoken by the narrator to Pescud.
(b) ‘Trevelyan’ was the hero of_________.
Ans. Trevelyan was the hero of the best seller ‘The Rose Lady and Trevelyan’.
(c) Who is the ‘princess’ mentioned here ?
Ans. Princess here refers to Jessie, Pescud’s wife.
- Summary of Best Seller Class 9th.
- Hindi Summary of Best Seller Class 9th.
- Word Meanings of Best Seller Class 9th.
- Textbook Question of Best Seller Class 9th.
- Multiple Choice Questions of Best Seller Class 9th.
- Non-Multiple Choice Questions of Best Seller Class 9th.
- Short Answer Questions of Best Seller Class 9th.
- Long Answer Questions of Best Seller Class 9th.